Thursday 17 December 2015

Draft Evaliuation Question 2 // Sachin mistry

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts? 

I feel like the combination of my ancillary text and the music video product are effective as they all tie into one, and are all relevant to the to each other so they are not all individual products.

When creating my digipak and magazine advert based the theme on the music genre which we had selected when choosing the song.  I feel that my digipak and advert fit well with the indie/rock genre which we wanted to base our band off of. This is because we had chosen song which has a lot of emotionally lyrics which we could present in the digipak. This is because the digipak is where the music will be stored and this will be the direct link which the audience will make. I similarly believe that my ancillary texts are simple which makes it easier to familiarise yourself with the band as there is not a lot of text or pictures surrounding the artists or the band name which helps with recognition of the band more easily. For example of my advert was on the side of the bus shelter in the city centre, I think that it would stand out because of the bright grey background which makes the members of the band stand out more. Also the contrast of the white lettering on the grey background also stands out amongst the crowd.  By doing this I wanted to create an image for the band that they are clean and simple and this would also translate into their music foreshadowing that they also have clean and simple music.

For my digipak I took inspiration form ‘Placebo’ and ‘Dirty Projectors’ this is because I liked the two shots they had because it looked very minimalist as they also had blank facial expressions. The inspiration from ‘Placebo’ came from one of their photos where they had all the band member faces over the top of each other almost like a fan. Even though it was a close up and majority of their faces was covered up you can still see their facial expressions which I thought was quite unique and ended up using this technique on the inside of my digipak. With my advert I used the same images found on my digipak but arranged then as in a different manner where they are bleeding over the border. This is because the majority of the ones that I found online feature the album cover and then some information at the bottom.  Didn’t feel as this would fit my theme and as I said previously f they features somewhere on display they would stand out due to the minimalism and people walking by could read the text quickly as the information I provided was quick and to the point.

With band branding I made sure that I used the band’s name on all three of the product, on the digipak I placed the band name ¾ of the way up the album cover around the eye line so that when the audience see the album cover they will make the direct eye contact and then they will see the band name. On the advert I placed the bane name at the top of the advert using the same font (Orator Std Medium) so that it is recognisable and clear to read. Likewise o the music video I placed the band name at the starting of the video so that if the video was accidentally clicked on as the least audience will know who the band right from the very start. If I were to do this again I would also make sure that the band’s logo is also loud and clear on all of my products as well to main continuity. For example I have the band logo on the spine and the back of the digipak, middle of the advert under the title so that the can familiarise the name with the logo and the band with the brand. But on the video I did not include this, so I would have a completely black screen with the band logo presented and then show the band name like normal. Or I could present it at the end o the video wither the credits. The name of the album is ‘Hard light’ and the lighting in the video was dark, quite bright at times and harsh. This reflects the name of the album and emphasises the link between the products. Also the pictures that were used as the exclusive pictures of the band members I took use the hard light effect as it represents the album name and it maintains continuity.

I think that the continuity of my digipak and advert links to the continuity of the music video showing that all of my work I planned thoroughly thought out before it was created. Each part of the digipak and advert have a meaning as to why I chose this deign language which reflects on the music video as each scene was planned out from the outfits to the mise en scene and the props in the background. The continuity of the video is that it’s always leading back to the lead singer and his memories going from good times with friends to bad times on his own. I believe that there is a direct link between all my products and that the band has been portrayed well which in my opinion is the most important when it comes to selling their products. 

No comments:

Post a Comment