Tuesday 15 December 2015

Evaluation Question 3 Draft - Michael

Evaluation Question 3 - What have you learned from your audience feedback?

Throughout this project, audience feedback has played an important part in the creation and final product of both our music video and my personal ancillary products. By receiving and taking in feedback from a whole range of different audiences I was able to adapt my final piece to ensure it was as good a media product as it could be.

Pitch: I first received feedback when, as a group, we pitched our first ideas for our music video. We created a 25 word pitch to express our original ideas to our peers. By receiving feedback on this we were able to adapt our ideas to suit that of an age group in our target audience. Comments such as:



      
were able to help us build on our original ideas. We answered questions that we were asked via feedback, and used these questions to slightly altar our planning. During the early stages of our planning this feedback was welcomed and became very helpful, as it meant we were able to learn about our target audience (as our media products were aimed at students the similar age to ourselves). Comments on our pitch, such as Phoebe's, that asked questions, such as, where we would be filming, allowed us to ask ourselves these questions and think about these for the first time ourselves. This was extremely helpful and meant we were able to start planning locations and other queries much earlier in the project than we may have done otherwise.

Digipak: More personally, I started to receive comments on my ancillary texts, when I published my draft digipak on the group blogger. With this piece I was able to ask for feedback from my subject teacher, as well as peers and other media students. Although my media studies teacher would not fit into the same target audience as was desired for our music video and final media products, I respected and was grateful for their personal feedback. As this teacher had seen many examples of student work in the past, and as I knew they had an interest in the genre we were using, I was encouraged by their positive feedback and took in their advice to make changes to certain aspects of my draft digipak. 


I also showed this piece to my family and friends. I favored my friends opinions over that of my family. I chose and made the decision to not listen to feedback or advice from my parents and other family members, as I believed they had no previous interest in the genre and did not fit into the target audience we had aimed to hit. If I were to listen to feedback from this group, my work may of ended up in a different style or may have been aimed at a different target audience. It was crucial I filtered the feedback I received and only listen to comments that came from members of my target audience, or someone with prior knowledge and understanding of the genre. This was why I valued the opinion of my friends and peers. After publishing my draft digipak, I asked peers and other members of my class to comment on this post so that I could receive as much suitable and relevant feedback as possible. 




I found the feedback I received from peers on this product just as helpful. The whole point of creating a draft was so that I could get feedback and improve on mistakes and see if anyone had any suggestions. Comments such as 'Charlotte's', which advised me to look at the individual panels and make them connect fluently had a great impact on my overall product. I listened to her feedback and completely changed one of the inside panels which hugely increased the professional appearance of my original draft. 

Advert: Similarly to my digipak I was able to get my magazine advert draft assessed by many different audiences. My family, my teachers and my peers all gave me feedback for this piece which massively aided me in my success of making this a successful and professional appearing  media product. In the same way that i did when publishing my draft digipak, I received feedback via comments from peers, from which I assessed my own work and made changes that were recommended to me by both my teacher and other media students. 




Video: The last part of my project that I was able to receive feedback on was the main media product, the video. Once we had taken all our shots and edited the video together we uploaded a draft version onto our blog. Similarly to my personal ancillary products, this post was commented on by our teacher. He advised us on certain aspects of our video and we learnt how to make it even better. this constructive criticism was helpful as it aided us in making the best music media video we possibly could. Although unfortunately we did not receive any feedback from peers or friends for this draft, we found the assessment from our tutor was sufficient and that because of this we were able to make a more professional and real life appearing media product. 

Overall I believe we greatly relied on the feedback we were given in order to reassess our work and make decisions to make changes to separate products which were greatly beneficial to us in the long run.  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment