Monday 4 January 2016

Draft Evaluation Question 1 - Max

Question 1

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

When creating my groups music video and my own digipak and advert, research and planning had a huge influence on the design I would go with. I would take inspiration from professional music videos, album adverts and digipaks.

Digipak: My first insight into the design I wanted my digipak to look like was one of the Pet Shop Boys albums from 1987 ‘Actually’. I liked this album cover as it was very simple, this was the design I went with throughout the project. In the Pet Shop Boys album they’re dressed in suits, this was the only difference between mine and their album cover. I chose to use different clothes as I wanted the album to have a modern look to it. The positioning of the text was actually an idea one of my classmates had, they commented on my draft post with ideas of improvement. I have altered the text on my front cover compared to the Pet Shop Boy’s album as I felt that this looked better as above the head of the artists there was not much space therefore it looked squashed in. I chose to have one member of the band slightly in front of the other as he is the lead singer in the music video; I wanted to make it clear that he was the lead.




Advert: When creating my advert I analysed a wide variety of adverts for albums as well as music magazine covers. Whilst researching the already existing album adverts I found that a common theme between them was that they would use the front cover of the digipak as the main image and then have the text around, after looking around for more inspiration I found that this looked the most professional and therefore went for this style. Also I chose to look at music magazine covers as well due to me wanting to widen the genres of music I would look at. Looking at music magazine helped me as I looked into best-selling music magazine such as NME and Q magazine; these showed me what caught readers eyes and therefore what would stand out. As well as this they further developed my knowledge of where to position the text depending on different front covers. I went for a very simplistic style as after looking at many advert I found that these, in a way, stood out the most.




Music Video: When doing research into the type of music video we would create my group and I looked at many videos in the genre that we were going for; this meant that we could see how different bands would style themselves and the type of shots that worked during different emotional parts of the song. We looked at the original song music video by Amber Run as this gave us more of an insight into the emotion behind the song and the underlying message. We decided to shoot a sad music video as, after watching many of Amber Run’s music videos for other songs, we found that they created music videos that were very heavyhearted. We also looked at songs that were classed as the same genre as ‘Spark’, this helped as we found how many other music videos were shot and the style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment